The process of learning to love yourself and put your needs first can sometimes feel daunting and unnatural. However, compassion and understanding of oneself can go a long way when faced with the daily stressors of life. Here are 14 steps to help you embark on your journey of self-care.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. In the world of social media, this can often be difficult. However, it is important to keep in mind that we are all facing our own struggles, our own journey – and social media is just a small snippet of one’s life.
- Be kind to yourself, especially if you’ve made a mistake. Remind yourself that nobody is perfect and embrace the learning opportunities that come with the missteps of life.
- Don’t be afraid to put yourself first. Remember that oxygen mask analogy? It’s good advice. Sometimes you need to take a breath for yourself first to allow you to take care of others.
- Embrace change. Sometimes our greatest reward comes from stepping out of our comfort zone. Not to mention a great way to elevate your confidence.
- Celebrate your achievements, no matter how big or small. Be proud of your accomplishments!
- Let go of toxic relationships. Sometimes it takes a step back to realize all of the negativity that they may bring… and don’t be afraid to walk away.
- Surround yourself with people that love and inspire you. We are a product of the environment that we are in. Choose those people wisely.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You’d be surprised at how many people in your life are willing to be an ear or lend a hand. It will make you feel good… and them too.
- Take time away from your computer or the task in front of you to clear your mind. Take a breather. Take a nap! It can do wonders to help you reset.
- Let go of the need to have constant approval from others. Sometimes the greatest feeling comes from our own internal wins.
- Find something to be grateful for each day. On the hard days, it can be something as simple as a bit of sunshine. Use that to carry you through.
- Take a walk around the block. Breath in the fresh air. It will do wonders for your mental well-being. Every time.
- Take a long shower. Buy yourself some nice smelling soap. It’ll help you feel pampered and recharged.
- Start each day with a positive thought. Seriously! You are loved. You are beautiful. And you deserve to celebrate it!